Monday, February 5, 2018

Starting a Successful Teen Book Club


I think one of the main goals of all librarians is to help foster the love of reading in all students.  I love to read, but I definitely prefer to read books of my own choosing as opposed to “required reading.”  I am pretty sure that I am not alone in this.  I think a book club in school would be a great way to encourage students to enjoy reading.
What I envision is a group of teens reading and discussing books of their own choosing.  To give a little guidance/structure, the group would choose a theme for each month, such as Bullying, Mental Health, Divorce, LGBT, Self Esteem, Adoption, Relationships, Immigrant Experience in the US.  The students, as a group, would decide on a book that relates to the theme of the month then discuss the book at the next month’s meeting.
I think the success of a club like this would come from the fact that the students choose what they are reading and what they are discussing.  These are all topics that affect many teens and these topics and books could generate good discussion with their peers.
That being said, I have visions of book club grandeur in my head, but I am not sure how to actually make it happen successfully.  So many things could go wrong- no one would show up, too many people would show up, no one would want to talk, or everyone wants to talk. 
Ilovelibraries.org  has some great information about how to structure and run book club meetings.  I especially liked the idea of how to have a book club meeting without a leader.  The discussion would circulate around the room and the students would take turns sharing their thoughts on the book or if members are reluctant to initiate discussion, then every student would get an index card and they must write a relevant question or insight about the book.  The group would then choose several index cards to facilitate the discussion.
Another interesting idea to help promote the book club once it is up and running came from an article by Carianne Capalongo-Bernadowski in Library Media Connection.  Capalongo-Bernadowski suggested that the students share their passion for reading and the books by writing a review of the books that they read in the club.  The students could post these book reviews in a student blog on the library web page.  The blog would promote reading, the book club and the library, plus allow students an opportunity to practice writing skills.  It’s a win-win situation when students are self-motivated to read and write.
The final key to success of a book club that I found in my research was food.  Lucas Maxwell shared his ideas on starting a book club on Bookriot.com and it came as no surprise to me that Maxwell declared that food was always a popular draw to any activity.  I spent 11 years in the classroom and I very quickly learned that students were always eager to participate in almost any activity when food was involved.

Cathy G.


 Citations

(2018).  How to run a book club.  Retrieved from http://www.litlovers.com/run-a-book-club

Capalongo-Bernadowski, C.  (2007).  Book clubs at work.  Library Media Connection, 26(3), 32-3.

Maxwell, L. (2017, September 13).  Ideas on starting a teen book club in your school library.  Retrieved from https://bookriot.com/2017/09/13/ideas-teen-book-club-ilibrary/


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of having a teen book club! I had one idea as I was reading your post that I thought I would share. Since it is hard choosing a book that all students would love, maybe you could have the general topic, like you mentioned, but then have a sign up sheet for different books on the topic. Say the topic is bullying. The students could each choose a different book about that topic and write it down then everyone have a discussion about that book. It would kind of be like what we do in these classes where we each pick a different book. It might work for teens as well.

    ReplyDelete

Student Library Assistants- Help you can Use!

If you don't already have a student library assistant program, it is time to start one! In times of shrinking budgets and increasing re...