Saturday, February 3, 2018

PebbleGo-- A Librarian's Best Friend

Saturday, February 3, 2018

PebbleGo-- A Librarian's Best Friend!
If you are an elementary librarian, PebbleGo can be the best friend you never knew you needed!  PebbleGo is a research database owned by Capstone.  It is primarily designed for use by Kindergarten, first and second grade students.  There are six different databases available for subscription, including Animals, Biographies, Science, Social Studies, Dinosaurs, and Animales (animals database in Spanish). 
PebbleGo offers a free trial for anyone who wants to test it out.  The cost is significant, but Capstone discounts each database, so the more you purchase, the less each one costs.  To learn more about PebbleGo's free trial, click here.
I purchased PebbleGo for my library two years ago, and I can't say enough good things about it.  It is a phenomenal source for nonfiction material in my library instruction.  Each database is broken down into different categories.  Students are able to see high-quality photographs and even watch video clips for most of the topics. 
I have many classroom teachers who rely on PebbleGo to give them valuable information for their students that is written on a reading level that is age appropriate.  PebbleGo is ideal for classrooms that are 1:1, but it is also great to use in a whole group.

PebbleGo Next is a new set of databases from Capstone that is
 geared toward upper elementary students.  It must be purchased
separately.  The databases contain more information and secondary
sources for older students, but it still reads the information to them.  My second grade teachers love the American Indians database!

Capstone provides tons of resources for librarians and teachers when using PebbleGo and PebbleGo Next.  Capstone Community is full of good ideas--check it out here!

I can't say enough good things about what PebbleGo offers!  If you want a safe, closed database that supports early readers and ELL students in an amazing way, you should definitely check it out.

Amy S.

Capstone. 2018.  PebbleGo.  Retrieved from https://www.pebblego.com/

3 comments:

  1. I love PebbleGo!! Some of our middle school students use it because it's on their reading level. The simple design and easy to use features are definitely a home run in my book. I don't know if we have access to PebbleGo Next -- I will look on Monday and start exploring. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a great addition at the high school level for our new ELL students. Introduced it for their animal research project and they loved it. Will be using it to study Explorerers next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never used PebbleGO until I did my hours in the elementary school. I love it! The students also really liked it as well. The librarian I was working with used it from Kindergarten all the way up to grade 5. It was awesome. There are so many things you can do with it and if I am ever in an elementary library, I would definitely spend the money to buy it!

    ReplyDelete

Student Library Assistants- Help you can Use!

If you don't already have a student library assistant program, it is time to start one! In times of shrinking budgets and increasing re...