Friday, February 9, 2018

Makerspaces

  When Makerspaces first hit the library there was a lot of attention and hype in creating a special area where students would create and use critical thinking. I have to say that I couldn’t wait to implement the Makerspace into the library when I started. As we started to progress throughout the year, I was seeing that we were using much more than just this space that I had created and it was just a storage area for some of the items I was using. The truth was I needed more room in the library to work with students in small groups, research, and so on. My thoughts started to change about whether it was necessary to designate an entire corner of the library to this space when the intention of the space was woven throughout my lessons. We have items we have purchased that students build, create, and design with, but the whole library should be a place of creativity and critical thinking. I moved the items from the Makerspace into the back office to get out as needed so that the actual space in the library could be used for other needs. The whole intention of a Makerspace is to encourage creativity, collaboration, critical thinking, and the list goes on and on. The library, to me, is the entire space that you use for these activities where all students can be “makers”’ without requiring a certain space.
 What are some of your thoughts on this?

Jessica W.

Here is a blog I found that I thought was interesting and reflective.

Spencer, J. (2016, April 25). You Don’t Need a Makerspace to Have a Space for Makers [Blog
Post].Retrieved from
http://www.spencerauthor.com/you-dont-need-makerspace-to-have-space/



No comments:

Post a Comment

Student Library Assistants- Help you can Use!

If you don't already have a student library assistant program, it is time to start one! In times of shrinking budgets and increasing re...